Friday, October 12, 2007

Getting Ready For The FMA

It's that time of year when a good part of the academic finance community is madly preparing for the Financial Management Association annual meeting. This year, it's not nearly as hectic for me as usual. I'm participating in a panel discussion and have one committee breakfast I have to attend, so there's not that much to prepare. In contrast, one year in a fit of temporary insanity I submitted three papers, of which all three were accepted. That seems to be a general rule - submit one paper and you often get rejected. Submit 2 or more and they all get accepted so you run around like you're on sugar and speed. At the same conference, I somehow ended up agreeing to discuss two papers.

Never. Again.

While I'm not presenting much this time around, my school is (unfortunately) interviewing for an assistant professor position (and in case you're wondering, I'm not accepting applications sent to the blog). So I get to spend the better part of 2 1/2 days sitting in a hotel room with two or three of my colleagues listening to one candidate after another tell us about their dissertations.

Since I'm at the other side of the table this time, there's not any pressure on me. But in exchange, there's the distinct possibility of extreme, mind-numbing boredom. Given all the b.s. I spread around when I was on the market the last few times, I guess this is just karma coming back to bite me on the butt.

So if you're a regular reader and you'll be there at the conference, send me an email and maybe we can have a drink. I may need it after interviewing.

No comments: